Apologies for this coming out a week later than promised, a few things came up so it took a bit longer than anticipated to edit. I hope this video on how to make Elastigirl’s wig and makeup is helpful!
I just completed Elastigirl in time for LFCC! I watched the Incredibles 2 and immediately began working on this. This was a super spur of the moment cosplay, so a lot of the material was made from leftover fabrics. The silver was leftovers from Stocking, the belt is from an Amy Pond scrap, and the gloves are from an old pair of leggings. The whole thing was surprisingly easy to make.
I made the leotard by looking closely at knit leotards and shirts that fit me and drawing that shape onto the fabric. This fabric is always a bit of a pain to work with because pins make holes in it, but I can get away with putting the pins through the seam allowance so it worked out. The fabric also doesn’t fray, so I left the edges raw around the leg holes and wrists. I made the Elastigirl symbol in GIMP and applied it the same way that I applied the stripes to my 13th Doctor shirt. If you want your own, here’s a link to the one I made.
In the Incredibles 2, Elastigirl wears elbow length gloves and boots that go up to her thighs. I, unfortunately, was unable to find boots or gloves that were that long. I decided to make the gloves and leave the boots for now, the leotard was warm enough already and I wasn’t about to add another layer. The gloves are made from an old pair of leggings that had ripped by tracing around my arm and sewing with a narrow zig-zag stitch. I do not recommend this fabric. They barely have any stretch to them, and because of this, I had to add length to the fingers for my long nails. They’re also very difficult to get on, and the fabric rips very easily. It probably would have been worth buying fabric for these.
I recorded a video of how I did my makeup and styled the wig and will have that up next week!
I made this skirt using just a little over a yard of plaid flannel fabric and about 18 gold buttons. The flannel had been purchased so that I could make a nightshirt for my dad. However, when I had finished making him a nightshirt, I had just enough fabric left to make myself a skirt.
The skirt was pretty simple, made from just two rectangles pleated in the front and the back. I didn’t even make a waistband!
The most difficult part of the skirt was probably trying to get all of the buttonholes to line up properly. I would have used a simple side zipper, but I did not have one and I had just been to the fabric store. Since the skirt is made from flannel, it is very warm, which will be great for the fall and winter.
I apologize for this post being so late, I did not have all the pictures until recently.
For Christmas, my friend Hilary gave me some beautiful red alpaca yarn, which I quickly made into fingerless mittens from this pattern. The pattern was quick and easy to make, and looks beautiful!In return, I made Hilary a knitted reversible cowl, called the Boomslang, in dark pink and white yarn (modeled by my sister). This cowl worked up fairly quickly for a cowl but still took quite a bit of time. I’d intended to give her the cowl before winter break, but I ran out of time and instead had to give it to her after break.For my cousin’s birthday on January 13th, I made her a hat! I based it off off of this pattern. I had to heavily modify the pink cupcake shape in order for it to curve properly, and then I ran out of yarn and was unable to make the icing ruffles around the edge, but I’m still pretty happy with how the hat turned out.
I made this hat out of a very nice wool blend yarn for my friend Georgia. I modified my “Spark” Slouchy Hat pattern by adding a band and stopping the dome of the hat early so that it would be a closer fit.
I’m allergic to wool, but I did not have any difficulties working with the yarn, and the hat worked up fairly quickly. However, when I went to try the hat on, I discovered I was too allergic to wear it. Georgia had no problems with the yarn and was very excited to receive her gift.
This hat I made for my friend Kate, who lives far enough away that I had to mail it to her. I originally wanted this hat to be an earflap hat, but I miscalculated how much grey yarn I had, and ran out very early on. I was able to fix the problem, and made a green brim for the hat instead of earflaps, adding the Hogwarts house name “Slytherin” to the brim in the remaining silver yarn.
Over the next few days/weeks I will be uploading pictures of the remaining gifts I have given to my friends, as well as one I received. I will also be taking pictures of older garments that I may not have mentioned before, and posting those.
Each necklace is actually a carefully hand sewn tie. These ties have been upcycled to fit a different group of people and can now be worn for much longer than their initial lives. Each necklace is an individual handsewn piece and cannot be found anywhere else.
This outfit is made up of a shirt and skirt. The shirt is made out of pop tabs and fastens in the back with a zipper. The bustled skirt is held up with a tie in the front, with an uneven hemline: high in the front, and low in the back.