I decided to try something a little different and branch off into video! This is a video about how I made a shirt for my 13th Doctor cosplay.
If you’re making this yourself, you will need:
This is my first time making a tutorial video, so any feedback is appreciated!
I’ve had this icecream fabric sitting in my fabric box for over a year, and I finally decided I needed to make something with it.
please excuse the sunburn
Since I only had two fat quarters of this fabric, I knew I wouldn’t be able to make something very big, but I new I wanted to make something I could wear. I copied the the front and back of a tank top I liked the shape of and cut these out. This didn’t work as well as I had hoped, and I had to modify the front piece a lot in order to get it to look nice. I took out about 2 centimeters from the center front and added in bust darts that I angled towards the front seam. I folded over the sides of the front and back pieces and hemmed them. Next, I added small pieces of stretchy elastic these sides to add some stretch and interesting detail to the top.
When making this, I really wanted to showcase the icecream fabric. I think this top does a good job of this, despite having more seam detail than I wanted. The bust darts aren’t very visible, but I’m not happy with the center front seam. I do think this top will get some wear out of it, but it’s not my favorite. At least I was able to use a fabric I already had!
I started working on this sweater exactly two weeks ago, and I’m really proud of how much I’ve made so far, even if I’m not finished. Eventually, the sweater should be a replica of the Hamburger and Fries sweater that Mabel Pines wears in the television show Gravity Falls.
I used the Laura Sweater pattern and also drew inspiration from this version of the sweater. (The second link is only visible to those with a Ravelry account.) I made the collar 9″ instead of 12″. I added six rows to the raglan part of the sweater in order to make the armholes fit my arms better.
In the pattern, the body of the sweater is 12″ long before the bottom ribbing is worked, but I made mine about 16″ long.
I’m only about halfway done with one sleeve and it’s a little tight, but still wearable. If I were to make this sweater again, I would modify it so that the sleeves would start out wider. The torso of the sweater fits perfectly, except for the very bottom edge where I cast off. I used the slip slip knit method, thinking that it would be super stretchy, but it is not. I might go back and redo my cast off row if I can find a stretchier cast off.
If anyone has any super stretchy cast off methods, please share them with me!
I realize it’s already November, but I’d still like to share the Halloween costumes that I helped some of my friends with!
Here you can see a picture of Genny dressed as Dirk Strider. As you probably remember, I made the skirt that she’s wearing out of a stretch knit, although the applique isn’t visible in this picture. I’m dressed as Jake English, another character from the webcomic Homestuck.
This is my friend Noah, who also dressed as Jake English this Halloween. I screenprinted both of our shirts in two colors, copying the design directly from the character’s t-shirt.
My friend Laurel wanted to be a Pokemon trainer from x and y, so she asked me to make her this hat. I made the hat based off of a pattern by Pinar Vardar on Ravelry. I had to change the entire base of the hat because I used a very different weight of yarn.
Thank you for reading!
Screen-printed white skulls on black t-shirts with fabric bows.