I made this skirt as part of a costume for a bee party I went to a few months ago. Since I haven’t been doing the best job of taking photos as soon as I make something, this post (as well as the next one) are quite late.
I went on amazon and bought two meters of the cheapest black and yellow striped fabric I could find. Originally, I had intended to make a dress from Gertie’s Ultimate Dress Book, but I came across a problem when it came to the bodice. I cut the bodice out a size larger than it needed to be, but the armholes were so small I couldn’t fit my arms through them.
Because I was a little pressed for time, I gave up on trying to fit the sleeves and bodice to myself and made a skirt instead. The skirt is simple, made from three rectangles: the front, back, and waistband. I zig zag stitched all the raw seams and included a side zipper.
I would like to eventually make this skirt into the dress I originally wanted. The bodice pieces only need small modifications in the shoulder and armpit area. While the pattern originally called for short sleeves, I probably won’t include them because I don’t have enough fabric left to recut them.
This is a rather silly pose.
This is the dress that I briefly mentioned in this post. I finally got outside and took some pictures of the dress! (Seven months after I made it-Oops!)
If you look closely, you can see my earrings are French flags! Get it?
The pattern I used for this dress is the Seersuker Sundress from Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing and I used two yards of French Fry fabric. Since both the book and the fabric were Christmas gifts, I found myself with two yards of fabric and a pattern that called for three. Luckily, when I went to lay out my pattern pieces, there was easily enough space for all of them.
“In Progress” featuring a helpful cat.
Pictured above is the muslin I made for the dress. I only made one muslin, and I only needed to adjust the front and back by taking them in by about 5/8 of an inch. I fully lined the dress with the muslin.
Hand sewing may take a long time, but it’s worth it!
I put in an invisible zipper instead of a lapped zipper, and this is the best invisible zipper I have ever done. The secret is to hand sew the whole zipper. I also took my time on the gathered skirt in order to make sure the gathers were perfectly even. Instead of gathering by sewing over a thread and pulling it, I pinned every gather out individually.
In fact, this garment is probably the best I have ever made. My only regret is that I didn’t take more time with the four darts in the front of the bodice – I could have adjusted them to fit better. Despite this, the French Fry Dress has been worn a few times already, (It was too cold to wear when I made it) and will definitely be worn over and over again in the future.
These cupcake bears are crocheted out of yarn with felt eyes and an embroidered mouth and nose.