I’ve had this icecream fabric sitting in my fabric box for over a year, and I finally decided I needed to make something with it.
please excuse the sunburn
Since I only had two fat quarters of this fabric, I knew I wouldn’t be able to make something very big, but I new I wanted to make something I could wear. I copied the the front and back of a tank top I liked the shape of and cut these out. This didn’t work as well as I had hoped, and I had to modify the front piece a lot in order to get it to look nice. I took out about 2 centimeters from the center front and added in bust darts that I angled towards the front seam. I folded over the sides of the front and back pieces and hemmed them. Next, I added small pieces of stretchy elastic these sides to add some stretch and interesting detail to the top.
When making this, I really wanted to showcase the icecream fabric. I think this top does a good job of this, despite having more seam detail than I wanted. The bust darts aren’t very visible, but I’m not happy with the center front seam. I do think this top will get some wear out of it, but it’s not my favorite. At least I was able to use a fabric I already had!
This is a rather silly pose.
This is the dress that I briefly mentioned in this post. I finally got outside and took some pictures of the dress! (Seven months after I made it-Oops!)
If you look closely, you can see my earrings are French flags! Get it?
The pattern I used for this dress is the Seersuker Sundress from Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing and I used two yards of French Fry fabric. Since both the book and the fabric were Christmas gifts, I found myself with two yards of fabric and a pattern that called for three. Luckily, when I went to lay out my pattern pieces, there was easily enough space for all of them.
“In Progress” featuring a helpful cat.
Pictured above is the muslin I made for the dress. I only made one muslin, and I only needed to adjust the front and back by taking them in by about 5/8 of an inch. I fully lined the dress with the muslin.
Hand sewing may take a long time, but it’s worth it!
I put in an invisible zipper instead of a lapped zipper, and this is the best invisible zipper I have ever done. The secret is to hand sew the whole zipper. I also took my time on the gathered skirt in order to make sure the gathers were perfectly even. Instead of gathering by sewing over a thread and pulling it, I pinned every gather out individually.
In fact, this garment is probably the best I have ever made. My only regret is that I didn’t take more time with the four darts in the front of the bodice – I could have adjusted them to fit better. Despite this, the French Fry Dress has been worn a few times already, (It was too cold to wear when I made it) and will definitely be worn over and over again in the future.