French Fry Dress!

seated-view-of-fronch-fry-d

This is a rather silly pose.

This is the dress that I briefly mentioned in this post. I finally got outside and took some pictures of the dress! (Seven months after I made it-Oops!)

three-quarters-back-view-of

If you look closely, you can see my earrings are French flags! Get it?

The pattern I used for this dress is the Seersuker Sundress from Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing and I used two yards of French Fry fabric. Since both the book and the fabric were Christmas gifts, I found myself with two yards of fabric and a pattern that called for three. Luckily, when I went to lay out my pattern pieces, there was easily enough space for all of them.

french fry dress in progress

“In Progress” featuring a helpful cat.

Pictured above is the muslin I made for the dress. I only made one muslin, and I only needed to adjust the front and back by taking them in by about 5/8 of an inch. I fully lined the dress with the muslin.

back-view-french-fry-dress

Hand sewing may take a long time, but it’s worth it!

I put in an invisible zipper instead of a lapped zipper, and this is the best invisible zipper I have ever done. The secret is to hand sew the whole zipper. I also took my time on the gathered skirt in order to make sure the gathers were perfectly even. Instead of gathering by sewing over a thread and pulling it, I pinned every gather out individually.
In fact, this garment is probably the best I have ever made. My only regret is that I didn’t take more time with the four darts in the front of the bodice – I could have adjusted them to fit better. Despite this, the French Fry Dress has been worn a few times already, (It was too cold to wear when I made it) and will definitely be worn over and over again in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.